Skip to main content

Jennifer Lauren Handmade - The Auden Men's Cardigan Pattern Review

I was chosen this month to review the Auden cardigan by Jennifer Lauren Handmade, yay! I have many of Jennifer's patterns and had been promising the Husband a handmade piece of clothing for quite a while so I was very pleased to be chosen. I love the saddle shoulder detail and slim fit body.



The pattern lends its self to using contrast fabrics for the body, sleeves, neckline and cuffs, making the most of the saddle shoulder detail. The two options are; View 1 has a contrasting neckline and elbow patches and View 2 is a more subtle option without the contrast neckline or elbow patches. The Husband decided he wanted a subtler option without any contrasting colours and opted for a quilted dogtooth fabric from Minerva Crafts.

The fabric was a nightmare. Frayed easily and often (all over my carpet) and my sewing machine was not a fan of its bulkiness!

The pattern is a pdf which I sent to Netprinter who printed it in A0, copy shop size, no pritt stick or selotape for me.

FIT

So I made View 2 and cut a size medium, which I graded down to a small at the waist. I also added 4cm to the length at the 'lengthen/shorten' point due to the Husband having a long torso, in RTW garments he sizes up to avoid belly button grazing tops!

The cardigan fits really well across his shoulders and his waist/hips. The sleeves are a good length too, defiantly not short and I feel the measurements given on the pattern to chose the size required are spot on.
Here he is, pretending to be shy! He loved posing!

Construction

The pattern came together really well, and if I hadn't been sleep deprived (read a newborn, a 4 year old just starting school, a 2 year old and a husband working away) I would not of made the silly mistake of cutting out the wrong arm. I even read 'cut view 2' out and had it in my pile to cut but ended up with View 1 arm cut out. So I had to add the extra required, as I didn't have any more fabric, here's a photo of my mistake

You can just see the joining seam, although it blends in well and if I hadn't of mentioned it to him I doubt he would of noticed. 

Back to the actual pattern, as I said it sews together really well. All the notches matched and the saddle shoulders were a dream to sew. I added all the optional topstitching as I really like the look. 

I loved the way of removing the excess seam allowance from the facing/cardigan front, which meant that when the facing was pressed back to the underside of the cardigan it removed all the bulk and naturally brought up the hem. I thought this gave a better finish than otherwise would have been the case. I will defiantly use this technique when sewing similar facings.

Instructions

As with the construction, the instructions were easy to follow with clear bullet point style and lots of clear diagrams. 

Other Thoughts

I would highly recommend this pattern for its ease of sewing and fit. It came together really well and I enjoyed sewing it. I can see more in the Husbands wardrobe as well as family for birthdays etc. Its a great style that I haven't seen on the high street and I can not wait to have time to make the women's equivalent, the Juniper Cardigan.

Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Rebecca x 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jennifer Lauren Handmade - Sorrel Dress

Hi there, its been a while since I've blogged about any makes, but this one is worth it.  I was lucky to be able to pattern test for  Jennifer Lauren Handmade . The Sorrel Dress is a shirtdress with a relaxed vintage style, and Jen is using it in her Kickstarter campaign to start printing her patterns in paper format! I'm a big fan of her patterns, I have many of them, so if your interested have a look at her Kickstarter page,  http://kck.st/2zkET2W and make a pledge if your able. The Pattern I made view 2, in size 16 with a C cup based on my measurements as per the pattern. Most of the JLH (Jennifer Lauren Handmade) patters come in cup sizes A to D, making fitting so much easier. I used a viscose fabric from  Cotton Reel Studio I've had in my stash for over a year. The recommended fabric ranges from cotton lawn, viscose to denims. The only modification I made was to lengthen the skirt at the lengthen/shorten line. I added 2 inches, to save my blus

My dress of the summer, Megan Nielsen Darling Rangers Dress

Hi there, its been so long since I blogged, so I decided I would get back into with my favourite make of the summer. It is my most worn item this summer. I had originally made it in March and although I did wear this initial version, there were a few issues that stopped it being a favourite. Once I had fixed these I made 2 more! I made a cotton lawn version in Lisa Comfort fabric and a linen/viscose mix from Lady McElroy and they both were in heavy rotation.  The pattern its self is easy to follow, I find Megan Nielsen patterns are well illustrated and written. All the elements come together as expected, and the pattern pieces are easy t make the alterations required. For reference my measurements are; Height 164cm Bust 100cm Waist 86cm Hips 114 cm I made a size L chest graded to a XL at the waist and hips, with the following adjustment's.  Firstly, when I moved my arms it felt tight across my upper back, like the seams were staining. Secondly, I felt the actua

Closet Case Files Kalle Shirtdress

I liked the look of the Kalle shirtdress when it was first released and loved Lauren's ( Guthrie and Ghani ) versions in her summer capsule wardrobe. But it was Beck's ( I sew therefore I am ) versions that cemented my need for it in my wardrobe! I am a total fan girl of Beck's and would happily wear her gorgeous wardrobe of me mades. As usual before I make a garment I find blogs of it and take notes of their findings. It is mixed for the Kalle shirtdress, some say they have sized down and preferred the fit and look. While others have made the size as guided by their measurements. I was unsure so decided to make a wearable toile with a soft brushed cotton and viscose mix I had from Minerva Crafts. I made a size 12 based on my chest measurement. I've worn the dress a lot. It fits easily into my 'throw it on and head out the door mummy wardrobe', and while it's maybe not the most flattering dress for my figure sometimes I don't want to fee